Posted January 26, 2015
Book: Then Comes Baby: The Catholic Guide to Surviving and Thriving in the First Three Years of Parenthood
Authors: Dr. Greg and Lisa Popcak
Ave Maria Press. Notre Dame, IN. 2014. Pp. 272
An Excerpt from the Jacket:
Catholic marriage experts Greg and Lisa Popcak deliver this practical guide for new Catholic parents, full of tips and tricks gained from twenty-five years of family counseling and their own life experience. Bursting with helpful stories and nuggets of Catholic wisdom on family life, Then Comes Baby equips couples to tackle the challenges of parenthood while still holding tight to their Catholic faith.
An Excerpt from the Book:
The Honey-Care List
Dads, remember: having a great marriage after you bring the baby home involves taking as good care of your wife as she is taking care of the baby. Write down as many special little things your wife has asked for or seemed to appreciate when you did them for her in the past (e.g., get flowers, look at her when she's talking to you, wash the dishes, give her a big hug, etc.) as you can. Try to identify at least twenty-five ways to cherish your wife based on your observations and what she's told you. Of course, if you're not sure, by all means ask her. Each day, do at least two things on the list. Try to do two different things every day.
Table of Contents:
1. Becoming a Catholic family
1. Getting started: four things every Catholic family needs to know
2. Laying the foundation: healthy baby, healthy parents, healthy family
3. Routines and rituals: the secret to keeping a joyful balance
2. Enjoying your new arrival: birth to six months
4. Getting to know you!
5. Keeping mama happy: mom care
6. Growing closer: marriage care
7. The spiritual life of your newborn
3. I've grown accustomed to your face: six to twelve months
8. Time to get moving
9. Attack of the should: mom care
10. Work-life balance
11. Just the two of us: marriage care
4. Hitting your stride: twelve to twenty-four
12. Supporting your little explorer
13. Healthy toddler discipline
14. Turning the corner: mom care
15. Spiritual care of your toddler: taking baby to mass
5. The year of wonder: twenty-four to thirty-six months
16. Enjoying the terrific twos
17. When is it time for your next baby?
18. Help for the journey